FPL: Scams are on the rise. Stay alert!
Protect yourself from scams, fraud and impostors
Warning: Scammers are aggressively targeting utility company customers across Florida and the rest of the country using sophisticated tactics to pocket quick cash. We continue to help provide our customers information on the most commonly used scams and how you can protect yourself by partnering with more than 100 utility companies across the country and sharing the latest scam-related information.
Some of the most common scams include:
- The caller pretends to be a Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) employee and insists your account is delinquent. Caller ID may even falsely display our number and appear to be FPL.
- The caller threatens to turn off power to your home or business within an hour if payment isn’t made immediately, and may even claim a truck is on the way.
- The caller demands immediate payment only with a prepaid card or wire transfer and provides a call back number that mimics our customer service line.
FPL WILL NEVER:
- Demand immediate payment with a prepaid card or wire transfer to avoid service disconnection.
- If this happens to you, take action:
- Suspicious caller – Hang up
- Suspicious text or email – Delete it
- A visitor without official FPL identification – Shut the door
- Ask for personal information, such as account numbers or your Social Security number, unless you call us – in which case we will ask questions to confirm you are the account holder.
Learn more here: https://www.fpl.com/landing/protect.html?cid=MC21EN141&bid=230596862