Quick Thinking 11-Year-Old Florida Girl Saves Puppy From House Fire
In Cape Coral,, an 11-year-old girl helped save a puppy's life after a house caught fire.
Mackenzie Jenkins was sitting on a swing when she heard a dog barking -- and spotted smoke coming from a neighbor's home.
Mackenzie quickly called 911 and told dispatchers what she saw.
When firefighters got to the house, they knew to search for a dog thanks to the information provided by Mackenzie.
The dog that Mackenzie heard barking was actually a puppy named Fiona. And, Fiona was unresponsive when the firefighters arrived.
But, they were able to treat Fiona with oxygen. And by the time the fire was out, she was up and walking around.
Cape Coral Firefighters presented Mackenzie with a special community award for her actions, which not only prevented further damage to her neighbor’s home from the fire, but also saved their dog's life
The Cape Coral Fire Department, shared this on Facebook...
Happy Labor Day from the Cape Coral Fire Department. The end of the “dog days of summer” had a different interpretation for Cape Coral Firefighters this weekend. Engine 8 responded to a public service call for a puppy whose head got stuck between two bars under a couch. Fortunately, they were able to free the pup quickly and with no injuries, much to the relief of his family!
Then Engines 2 and 3, Ladder 1, Truck 4, Rescues 3 and 4, and Battalions 1 and 2 responded to a residential structure fire and, thanks to the quick actions of 11-year-old Mackenzie Jenkins, were able to save a 6-month-old puppy named Fiona. Mackenzie had gone outside to swing when she heard the neighbor’s dog barking and saw smoke coming from the house. She quickly called 9-1-1 and told dispatchers what she saw. When firefighters were able to make entry, they knew to search for a dog thanks to the information provided by Mackenzie. Fiona was unresponsive when firefighters found her, but Lee County EMS cooled her and provided oxygen, and by the time the fire was out, she was up and walking around! Firefighters presented Mackenzie with a Community Recognition Coin for her actions which not only prevented further damage to her neighbor’s home from the fire but saved their dog’s life. Great job, Mackenzie!!