Where to Get Your Taxes Done for Free in Sarasota and Manatee Counties
Sarasota - Selby Library AARP tax aide
Those requesting free tax prep need to drive by the site to pick up paperwork and schedule an appointment to drop off their information. They will be notified when to come back and pick up their information and authorize electronic filing of their taxes
1:30 to 5 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Fridays. For information call, 941-217-0399.
Venice and North Port
In Venice, AARP’s free income tax prep service starts this week and runs from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at Venice Community Center, 326 Nokomis Ave. S., and from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Woodmere Park, 3951 Woodmere Park Blvd. To schedule an appointment, go to taxaide.aarpfoundation.org or call 941-237-0786.
AARP requests that participants pick up tax packets in Venice either at the William H. Jervey Jr. Venice Public Library, 300 Nokomis Ave. S., or Frances T. Bourne Jacaranda Public Library, 4143 Woodmere Park Blvd.
AARP also will be offering the free tax preparation service in North Port at the Shannon Staub Library, 4675 Career Lane. Appointments must be made by calling 941-861-1744.
Appointments will be scheduled from 4 to 7 p.m. on Fridays, with tax processing occurring from 10:30 to 3:30 p.m. on Fridays.
For more information, visit the AARP website: aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide or contact AARP at 888-687-2277 or 888-227-7669.
For information on services offered at Sarasota County’s libraries, go to /scgovlibrary.libanswers.com/faq/293849.
Suncoast United Way’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Suncoast United Way’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance will be assisting taxpayers at six sites in South County and Sarasota, according to a news release.
All taxes will be prepared by appointment only, by calling 813-419-3918. COVID-19 screenings will be done on site. Only the taxpayer and their spouse (if filing jointly) will be allowed on site, and taxpayers and volunteers are required to wear a face covering.
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, 1845 34th St., Sarasota.
- Goodwill Manasota North Sarasota, 5150 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota.
- United Way Suncoast Sarasota Area Office, 1800 Second St., Suite 102, Sarasota.
- Goodwill Manasota North Port, 14879 Tamiami Trail, North Port.
- Goodwill Manasota Rialto, 676 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice.
- All Faiths Food Bank/DeSoto Food and Resource Center, 1021 E. Oak St., Arcadia.
Step Up Suncoast
Step Up Suncoast is offering free tax assistance at seven sites, most of which are virtual or drop-off and pickup only. Call 941-300-2256 for more information.
- Step Up Suncoast, 6428 Parkland Drive, Sarasota; 2 to 5 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays through April 12.
- 13th Avenue Dream Center, 922 24th St. E., Bradenton; 9 a.m. to noon on Saturdays from Feb. 13 to April 10
- Bayside Community Church, 15800 State Road 64, Bradenton, 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. every Tuesday.
- Goodwill State Road 70, 8750 S.R. 70 East, Bradenton, 9 a.m. to noon every Wednesday from Feb. 12 to April 7.
- State College of Florida Veterans Service Center, 5840 26th St. W., Bradenton, Room 101, Building 60. Contact 941-752-5075 for an appointment.
- Holy Cross Catholic Church, 501 26th St. W., Palmetto. Virtual site, dropoff only.
What to bring
Paperwork needed by tax preparers includes:
- Last year’s federal income tax return
- Social Security cards and correct birthdates for all family members
- Photo IDs (if filing jointly, both spouses must be present with ID)
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked during the tax year
- All 1098 forms (for mortgage, higher education expenses, etc.)
- All 1099 and other income forms
- Form 1095-A (ACA health care coverage)
- Amount of income not reported on a statement
- Records of deductible/qualified expenses not shown on a statement
- A voided check or savings account number for direct deposit or direct pay (encouraged)
- Child care provider info (name, address, tax ID/Social Security number)