Sarasota’s ‘Unconditional Surrender’ statue Location Change, Update?
Later this month, Sarasota city commissioners will decide between nine potential sites across the city for the "Unconditional Surrender" statue.
The statue which sits along the Sarasota bayfront, near the intersection of Gulfstream Avenue and U.S. 41, needs to be re-located due to construction on a new roundabout at that intersection, which will begin later this year.
The city of Sarasota has heard from many, about the future location of the statue. From those who think, they should get rid of it, to approximately 5,000 people that have signed a petition asking city leaders to keep it somewhere along the bayfront.
Some of the potential mew locations for the statue, include:
- In front of O’Lleary’s Tiki Bar and Grill
- Above the treeline halfway between the O'Leary's and Marina Jack?
- The Sarasota Sailing Squadron.
- The roundabout at the north end of Ken Thompson Park
- Hart’s Landing
- J.D. Hamel Park
- The Sarasota Sahib Shriners’ campus at 600 N. Beneva Road
Would you like to share your thoughts on this, with the City of Sarasota, here is the contact info for each elected official: https://www.sarasotafl.gov/government/city-commission